Message From The Directors, October 2023
What a year 2023 has been thus far! At Kingston Building, we’ve been diligently working on numerous projects, and the days have flown by. We wanted to take a moment to share with you the remarkable milestones we’ve achieved and the exciting developments happening within our company.
September marked the beginning of awards season for builders within the Hunter Region, with the Master Builders Association (MBA) Awards for Excellence in Building within the Hunter Region taking place on 8 September and the HIA-CSR Hunter Housing and Kitchen & Bathrooms Awards on 21 October.
We’re proud to announce that Kingston Building received five MBA Awards and two HIA-CSR Awards at both events in the following categories:
- MBA SafeWork Excellence in Work Health & Safety – Residential
- MBA SafeWork Excellence in Work Health & Safety – Commercial
- MBA Restoration of an Historic Build under $1m – Quirindi Public School
- MBA Public Buildings under $5m – Kurri Kurri High School
- MBA Apartment Development under $10m – Fernleigh Apartments, Belmont
- HIA-CSR Specialised Housing – Oak Tree Jesmond Retirement Village
- HIA-CSR Affordable Housing – Fernleigh Apartments, Belmont
We were also finalists for at the MBA Awards for:
- Specialised Housing – Oak Tree Jesmond Retirement Village
- Affordable Housing – Fernleigh Apartments, Belmont
These accolades stand as a testament to our team’s dedication and expertise. We congratulate everyone involved including our project team, trusted subcontractors and consultants.
Our Corporate Social Responsibility Mission
At Kingston Building, we recognise the importance of actively contributing to the well-being of our community.
This year, we established a dedicated Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) committee with the mission to spearhead initiatives, fundraising efforts, and community events that strengthen the Hunter Region.
As part of our CSR initiatives, we proudly partnered with Career Links, a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to connecting young individuals with valuable work experience opportunities and fostering their future career growth. We are thrilled to report that our collaboration with Career Links has been highly successful, providing opportunities for
- A group of 20 high school industrial arts teachers to inspect 3 sites across the Newcastle Region allowing them to witness first-hand different construction techniques relevant to the industry.
- 15 school students interested in a career in construction to gain invaluable work experience with our company, providing them with an insight into the industry and allowing them to make informed choices in relation to their future careers. We are very happy to announce that of the students that undertook the program we have been able to provide a full time carpentry apprenticeship to one of the students, which will commence next year.
In addition to our partnership with Career Links, Kingston Building’s team has been actively engaged in several fundraising events, such as Tour de Cure Australia and Walk 2 d’feat MND. We are pleased to have been able to raise over $13,000 for the Tour de Cure with the funds being donated to help beat Cancer and a further $3,000 from the charity walk, undertaken by 10 Kingston staff and their families, to help cure Motor Neurone Disease.
Outlook For The Rest Of 2023
On the construction front, Kingston Building has been bustling with activity, boasting a robust pipeline of projects, including those in the industrial, education, and NDIS sectors.
We are excited about the future and look forward to building upon the successes we’ve achieved so far this year.
We are thrilled to share a significant milestone from our Brunker Road Over 55s Project. The scaffolding has been removed from the building, revealing the facade of the four-storey Oak Tree Group vertical retirement village. This is a great accomplishment for the project team as they have overcome significant challenges over the course of the project.
As we navigate the remainder of 2023, we remain committed to upholding the highest standards of excellence and community engagement. We deeply value the partnership and support of our stakeholders, and we thank you for being an integral part of Kingston Building’s journey.
John Tonkin & Matt Howard
Directors, Kingston Building